Thursday, June 5, 2008

Portabello-Onion Fajitas

My mother used to make fajitas all the time. She would saute onions, peppers, and chicken in a little bit of oil. Then she would add beer to give it a magical flavor all its own. When I was young I always loved fajitas because (A) they were good and (B) because I thought that I would get an alcohol buzz from the beer, although this was never the case.

No more chicken for me though.

I came across a recipe from, once again, from "The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook" by Robin Robertson that was all about Portabello Mushroom slices, Red Onion slices, and a new American craze...chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I have seen the chipotle peppers in adobo featured in quite a few recipes but I never saw them in the store; or maybe I never really looked hard enough. Anyway I found some and bought a can for this recipe.

Now let me tell you... these fajitas kicked my ass two ways from Sunday. I love spicy foods but DAMN this was hot stuff. I never gave in though. The pain was just part of the experience of this awesome dish.

Mushrooms and Onions waitin' to be sauteed:


And the Grand Debut:


Comment for recipe.

4 comments:

Shelle said...

You are so fabulous, and I just love you. :)

Alicia said...

Wow, these fajitas look amazing...

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome writer, photographer, friend, person and son! Keep up your wonderful, whimsical blog. You rock Kyle! Love, Mom

Kyle said...

I got an email from Robin Robertson, author of countless veg*n books, including the Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook, and she had this to say about this post:

**
I enjoy reading your blog and am happy to see that you're enjoying recipes from my book, Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes. I revisited the recipe for Chipotle-Glazed Portobello Fajitas and I see that there is a typo! I meant for the glaze to be a half can (plus a little water and the lime juice), not a whole can. Sorry about that. To make up for it (and in honor of your asbestos tongue), I'd like to send you a copy of my new book, Vegan Fire & Spice.
**

Thank you Robin.