Monday, January 12, 2009

You Must Try This Lentil Curry

I've been trying to save money by eating more simply and I was looking for a hearty meal with not too many ingredients. I love lentils and I have a whole kitchen drawer devoted to only lentils and grains. I came across a recipe on recipezaar.com that really came to the rescue. I went shopping to get some veggies for the dish and the total for the whole recipe is probably less than $10. I served the curry on top of the Saffron-Garlic Rice from Veganomicon (I didn't have saffron and it's super expensive, so I simply used some turmeric). This curry is sooooo good, easy, and healthy, you just have to try it for yourself.



1 cup lentils (red, green, or brown work fine)
4 cups vegetable stock
1 medium onion (chopped)
3 garlic cloves (chopped or minced)
2 medium carrots, roughly diced
2 celery ribs, roughly diced
1/2 small head cabbage, sliced in 1/2" strips
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons garam masala
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
salt and pepper

Rinse lentils in strainer and sort through, removing debris. Heat 1 TBS broth in medium soup pot. Saute onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently, until translucent. Add garlic, carrots, celery, and cabbage. Continue to sauté for another couple of minutes. Add curry powder and mix to bring out its flavor. Add rinsed and drained lentils, broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered until lentils and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Add cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with rice, naan, or other carbohydrate side.

1 comment:

CorianderDragon said...

That sounds really interesting.

I did not realize you had a blog that is so cool! :)