Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Empanada-type Thing

I have fallen in love with the raw pizza dough that I buy at a local grocery store (Trader Joe's). Maybe I love it too much, I've put on a couple pounds since I've discovered it :D

Sure you can make a standard pizza with it because it's just uncooked dough, but sometimes it's fun to get creative. I think a few posts ago I showed a picture of a Curry Calzone. This is along the same lines but since I stuffed it with Fake beef, it seems to be more like an Argentinian Empanada.




I didn't follow a recipe for this so just test and taste as you go.

What I did:

Ingredients

Uncooked pizza dough, enough to make a 12" round
12 oz. package vegan "beef" crumbles ( I used the Morningstar brand)
1 envelope taco seasoning (make sure it has no dairy)
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
hot sauce to taste
olive oil or other cooking oil for brushing on dough

Prep

Take the pizza dough and roll out or stretch to a 12" round; set aside.

Preheat oven to 450 F. Put frozen "beef" crumbles in a pan and warm over medium heat. When warm add taco seasoning, bell pepper, and 1/2 cup water (or whatever amount the taco seasoning packet says to use), simmer for about ten minutes stirring occasionally. Place "beef" filling on one half of the stretched pizza dough and fold the other half over so that it forms a pocket. Moisten edges of dough and press together to make a seal. Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil and place empanada onto it. Rub or brush some olive oil on the top; make small slits on the top so the empanada filling can steam and place in the oven. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the dough is golden brown. Let cool for a bit, slice, and serve.

1 comment:

Shelle said...

Oooh, this looks like it would be really cool for a small dinner party! And easy, too! Damn Kyle. You put my cooking to shame. ;)