Monday, May 12, 2008

Low-Sodium Vegan Food

I started to log my sodium intake recently and I was horrified to see that I was consuming double what I should be. High Blood Pressure runs in my family and I have borderline High Blood Pressure so I am starting to eat more low-sodium foods.

I went to a website for low-sodium vegan diets and it gave me a few recipes. One was for STUFFED PEPPERS so that's what I made today. It was an easy recipe and quite good.


I ate one stuffed pepper with carrot and celery sticks and a green salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette.

Low-Sodium Stuffed Peppers (serves 6):

6 large green bell peppers, tops and seeds removed
2 tsp. olive or grapeseed oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 12- or 14-oz. package vegan ground "meat" such as Morningstar Vegan Crumbles or Gimme Lean "Sausage" or equivalent
3 medium ripe tomatoes
2 cups cooked barley
Cumin to taste
Chili Powder to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Gently place peppers in the water and boil for 10 minutes. Carefully remove peppers and drain; set aside.

In a large frying pan, heat oil and saute onions and vegan "meat", breaking up the "meat" completely, until onions are softened. Add tomatoes, barley, cumin, and chili powder and stir mixture one minute longer or until heated through. Stuff boiled and drained peppers with the mixture and serve.

No comments: