Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day!

Today is Earth Day. A couple years ago I didn't take the event seriously but now I am doing things to change my ways. In the past year I went vegan; bought biodegradable, plant-based cleaners and household products; use reusable bags when going to the store; recycle paper, aluminum, plastic; turn off lights in rooms that I'm not in; bought less bottled water (I mostly use one bottle per week, then just refill it with tap water). Unfortunately, I still have a long way to go.

Some things that I hope to do in the future:
-stop smoking
-start using my bicycle more instead of the car
-unplugging electronics when not in use
-line-drying clothes instead of using a dryer

Yes, there is still quite a bit to do. But those things will come in time.

Tuesday is not a good day to have Earth Day because most people are commuting to work, using computers and office lights, etc. Some friends and I got together last Saturday to observe the holiday/event.

Kai and I went to Lake Merritt in Oakland and picked up some trash. We also cooked up a dinner and ate by candlelight. We didn't use any electricity for about 5 hours. It was pretty cool. There was a question that was brought up by a friend which was, "Since electricity and energy go into the candle-making process is it really better for the environment?" I don't have an answer for that but our candlelight dinner was more symbolic than anything.

We (mostly Kai) made a Lentil Curry Stew, Brown Basmati Rice, and some Foccacia bread. It was an amazing, mostly vegan dinner.

Flour handprints:


Curry Stew:


Dough by Candlelight:


Calzone stuffed with Curry Stew and Rice:



HAPPY EARTH DAY!! LET'S KEEP OUR WORLD THE GEM THAT IT TRULY IS.

No comments: