Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Another Egyptian Dish and Pygmy Marmosets

Well, it looks like I'm running with a theme here. Another Egyptian-inspired recipe for dinner tonight. Call me Tutenkhamen! I'll get to the recipe and picture in a little bit.

I am a new regular on Yahoo Answers where people ask a question and all the people online can answer their question. It's fun but it's really addicting. I spend quite a bit of time in the Vegetarian/Vegan section and there's a lot of crazy stuff going on there. It's like a war-zone sometimes because someone will ask a legitimate question and then a "troll" comes in and says some crazy comment like "EAT MEAT" or "OH MAN, A NICE JUICY STEAK SOUNDS GOOD RIGHT NOW." It's kinda funny.

Anyway, I was on there today and someone asked "What is your favorite animal?" I have never really had a favorite animal but today I thought about it a while and I think my favorite is the pygmy marmoset.

Here's a pygmy marmoset:



Aren't they cute? I remember seeing some in Victoria, Canada at the Crystal Garden which no longer exists. But I have a great memory of those little creatures.

So back to the food!!

Warm Spinach-Dill Brown Rice:



Ingredients:

1 medium onion, diced
1 T. (15 ml) olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
small handful fresh dill, chopped
1 15 oz. (445 ml) can tomato sauce
1 10 oz. (295 ml) frozen spinach, thawed
1/2 cup (120 ml) water
salt and pepper to taste
1 t. (5 ml) ground cumin (optional)
1 t. (5 ml) ground ginger (optional)
1 t. (5 ml) ground coriander (optional)

Preparation:

-Saute onions in oil until softened
-Add garlic and dill and saute an additional 2 minutes
-Mix in cumin, ginger, and coriander, if using
-Add tomato sauce and salt and pepper and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low
-Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat
-Add spinach and water, bring to a boil again
-Cover and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes
-Serve with warm brown rice

1 comment:

Shelle said...

Okay. I've just decided a want a pygmy marmoset.