Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Yuck, I'm Sick

I have never had the flu but I think I just got it. When I woke up, I felt like I just worked out. My muscles are aching, I have a slight fever, and I'm really tired. Hopefully it will only last a little bit and I can still go to work. To be honest I don't want to go to work but the last time I called in sick was probably about a year-and-a-half ago so I'll see how it goes, and if I'm too under-the-weather, I'll just go back home. I'm not a big tea drinker but I really wish I had some right about now.

Tomorrow on the Oprah Show they are having a special about Freegans. I always found the concept interesting but I don't have the desire or courage to become Freegan. It seems a little too harsh for me. Although I love to read about how people made the switch and what their motives are. If after tomorrow I find a link to the show, I'll try to link this post up to it.

I had an extra box of tempeh in the fridge so I went cruising the recipe websites and I came upon the Tofurky/Turtle Island Company which actually made this particular tempeh. You know how I love those picnic-type salads!! So I made a great Mock "Chicken" Salad. It didn't taste at all like chicken salad but it was sublime. I made this a few days ago.



MOCK CHICKEN SALAD (from tofurky.com)

Great as a sandwich or served on a bed of lettuce, garnished with tomatoes and sprouts.

8 oz. Turtle Island Soy or Five Grain Tempeh
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp. dill weed
1/4 cup vegenaise (or homemade vegan mayo)
1 1/2 tsp. mustard (wet) prepared
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
Grate Tempeh and marinate in 1 quart of water with salt for 20 minutes.
Drain and place in a bowl with chopped onion, celery, parsley and dill weed.
Mix remaining ingredients together and add to Tempeh and vegetable mixture.
Mix well, serve in salads or on sandwiches.


Actually I went into work last Friday and a client came into our office and peaked over my cubicle wall as I was eating lunch and he exclaimed in a horrible Texas accent, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YA EATIN', SON!!" I told him I was eating Quinoa and a Tempeh Salad. He was so lost. I don't think he knew I was speaking English. And I'm sure, being from Texas, that he only knows what burgers and fries look like. Granted, quinoa kinda looks like tan caviar, but it was embarrassing to have to explain my foods to him.

Being sick I just prepared a quick meal of Curried Tofu (V-Con), Barbecue Black Beans, and a sad piece of wilted celery with chili pepper hummus. The Curried Tofu was really interesting and some of the burnt edges tasted like bacon, which was a suprise. Maybe if I slice the tofu thin enough next time I can make my own soy bacon.




I almost forgot...my favorite stand at the Farmer's Market in Oakland is opening a Vegan Soul Food restaurant. YAY! Apparently the demand was so high that they got enough money to open. I can't make it to the Grand Opening but I'll be there soon enough. :0)

Come back again real soon ya hear!!



Love,
Ryan Seacrest and his lover, Ryan Seacrest

No comments: