Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Full Plate

Last weekend I got to the Farmer's Market just in time to get some Soul Food. I usually get enough for just one meal but when I ordered it "to go" I got a huge portion. Definitely enough for two meals, but for the same price. I'm not quite sure how that all worked out but I was happy. I picked Sweet Potatoes, Barbecue Tofu, and Mustard greens over rice from their selection. The barbecue tofu was so good I tried to make it myself at home a couple days later.




As I said I tried to replicate the tofu that I got at the market and it was quite good but not quite as good. I should have marinated it longer. I chose to make a couple side dishes with it: roasted potatoes and sesame roasted asparagus. It was all really amazing. Especially the asparagus!



Sesame Roasted Asparagus:

Ingredients

1 lb. or 1 bunch asparagus, washed and hard ends trimmed
2 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sesame seeds

-Preheat oven to 475 F
-Toss ingredients in a large bowl and then lay them on a baking sheet
-Put them in the oven for 10-12 minutes

Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients

4 medium potatoes, washed and cut into bite-size cubes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

-Preheat oven to 475 F
-Toss all ingredients in a large bowl and lay mixture, in a single layer, on a lightly greased baking sheet
-Bake for 20-30 minutes until brown and crispy, stirring or flipping ever so often

Some people just prefer to use potatoes, oil, salt, and pepper, which it great too if you don't have all the spices.

BBQ Tofu:

Ingredients

1 block tofu, drained of liquid, or if using frozen tofu, thawed and drained, cut into cubes
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1 Tbsp. oil

-Mix tofu cubes with barbecue sauce in a bowl until well-coated
-Heat oil in a medium skillet and add tofu
-Brown over medium heat until crispy
-If needed, add extra bbq sauce after the tofu is done



That same day I was still hungry a couple hours later so I made myself a quesadilla with vegan cheese and hot sauce before bed.




I'm thinking about making some black bean patties tonight. But, I'm not quite sure how to do it and I don't have a food processor so I'm just gonna wing it and use a fork or masher. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Shelle said...

I think I'm going to try the sesame asparagus because that sounds really good. My Mom actually started using sesame oil on veggies cooked on the bbq a couple of years ago, and they are so yummy. You can put the sesame oil/seeds on yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, or really anything and it gives such a great taste.