Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Little Eastern, A Little Western

I bought a bunch of asparagus on sale last week and I needed to use it up before it went bad. That's why the speared member of the lily family is making an appearance in this and the last post. I was thinking about what to do with the asparagus and I thought, "maybe I can fry them like potatoes."

I have had some falafel patties in the freezer for about 6 months and I figured I would try to deep fry them. I don't have a deep-frier so I just used oil in a medium saute pan and that worked beautifully.

I started making dinner by frying the falafel patties:





Then, I dipped the asparagus (by the way, is the plural form asparagi?) in soy sauce and breaded them in a flour mix. I fried them in oil and, unfortunately, most of the breading came off in the process. I was hoping they would come out crispy like french fries (chips) but they were pretty wilted. That's okay though, they tasted great.

Lastly, I made a "cheesy" sauce from nutritional yeast, flour, oil, soy sauce, salt, dijon mustard, and water. I drizzled it all over the falafel and asparagus. I absolutely love how it turned out. Unfortunately, I didn't make enough for lunch tomorrow. :(

No comments: