Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Get Out Your Spanish Flare!

I felt like buying some Soyrizo (veg. chorizo) today and I found a recipe that used chorizo online which I easily veganized.

This meal is called, simply, Potatoes with Peppers and Soyrizo. It makes me think of something they might make as a comfort food in Spain.

Ingredients:

5 medium potatoes (russet, idaho, etc.), cut in 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
2 fresh jalapeno chiles
1 large onion, halved and then cut in 1/4 inch strips
2 large green bell peppers
1 package of "soyrizo" (found in most grocery stores [at least in my area])
3/4 cup white wine

Preparation:

-Heat oil on medium high heat in medium or large skillet until oil is hot
-carefully add potatoes and salt and saute for 20 minutes or until browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally.
-when potatoes are done, use a slotted spoon and place them on several paper towels to soak up excess oil, reserve oil in the skillet for other ingredients
-cut a 2 inch slit in the sides of the jalapenos, add to skillet along with onions, peppers, and soyrizo and reduce heat to medium
-cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until vegetable are cooked and softened...about 6-10 minutes
-add wine and boil until the mixture thickens...about 5 minutes.
-discard jalapenos, and mix the onion-pepper mix with potatoes in a large mixing bowl
-add salt and pepper to taste


So damn good! Those Spaniards sure know how to cook. And now, so do I.


Peekaboo!!

1 comment:

Shelle said...

K, that's it. Could you make this for dinner for me one day? I have no shame asking. :) It's 1:00 am, again, which is usually when I read your blog, and you've given me another early morning craving. Now, you owe me.